The Village of Wheeling engaged The Lakota Group, a Chicago-based firm, to create a Corridor Plan for Restaurant Row, to enhance connectivity, encourage economic development, and create a vibrant streetscape along Milwaukee Avenue and the western edge of the Des Plaines River. The Plan builds a dynamic vision for the corridor that emphasizes walkability, placemaking, and revitalization. The project team assessed existing physical conditions, conducted market analysis, explored placemaking and streetscape design solutions, and identified funding and implementation strategies.
The Corridor Plan objectives include:
• Creating a distinct identity for the corridor
• Enhancing buildings and public spaces
• Improving access to the Des Plaines River
• Strengthening overall quality-of-life within the Village
The planning process included meeting with Village stakeholders and leaders, online surveys, and community workshops to ensure that the final plan was informed by the needs and desires of the community.
The project team undertook an inclusive public participation program that engaged stakeholders and community members in an effective and meaningful way. The goal of the open and transparent public engagement effort was to build community trust and gather the feedback and insights needed to create a thoughtful vision for the future of the Restaurant Row Corridor and riverfront. Your insights, opinions, and ideas were important to us as we developed the final Plan. Thank you to everyone who participated and shared their input through stakeholder interviews, online surveys, and community workshops.
• Wheeling Restaurant Row Existing Conditions Presentation – This presentation provides a summary of the initial findings from Phase 1 and will act as a guide during this planning process. It was presented virtually to the Steering Committee on December 14, 2021 and was further revised based on the Steering Committee’s valuable feedback!
• Wheeling Restaurant Row Community Workshop #1 Exhibits – View the exhibits from Wheeling’s first community workshop held on Thursday, February 24th at Village Hall!
• Wheeling Restaurant Row Community Open House #2 Exhibits – View the exhibits from Wheeling’s second community open house held on Wednesday, July 20th at Village Hall!
• Restaurant Row Corridor Plan – View the final Restaurant Row Corridor Plan!
The Lakota Group has 27 years of experience in urban design, planning, landscape architecture, and historic preservation. The Lakota Group is leading the Wheeling Restaurant Row Corridor Plan. Learn more>
SPACECO is an award-winning firm that provides a comprehensive array of civil engineering and surveying services for site development, municipal engineering, and public infrastructure projects. Learn more>
CBBEL has 35 years of experience providing comprehensive environmental, engineering, and surveying services and will provide floodplain and wetland analysis for the Wheeling Restaurant Row Corridor Plan. Learn more>
Hoffman Strategy Group is a national real estate advisory firm that dives deeply into retail, residential and commercial market and feasibility analysis to identify factors that lead to successful real estate projects. Learn more>